Travel and Immigration Advice

Student Pass and Passport Requirements

Before coming to Malaysia, make sure you know that:

Before coming to Malaysia, make sure you know that:

  • Your passport must have a minimum validity of 14 (fourteen) months beyond the period of stay from the day you enter Malaysia
  • You are permitted to hold only one pass at a time, i.e. your Student Pass
  • Your Student Pass is non-transferable and permits you to study only at APU. The pass is valid for 1 (one) year and is renewable while you remain as a student at APU

Social Visit Pass

You need to get your Student Pass approval before leaving your country because in case your social pass expires before your Student Pass is approved, you will have to leave and re-enter Malaysia.

Note that all students and visitors to Malaysia are subject to the Immigration Act 1959/63.

Expiry and Extension of Student Pass

It is your responsibility to remember when your Student Pass expires. You need to submit application for your Student Pass extension 3 (three) month before the expiry date. Failing to do so may cause you to be compounded for overstaying in Malaysia by the Immigration Department.

Working in Malaysia

The Immigration Department of Malaysia allows International students to work for a maximum of 20 hours per week while studying in Malaysia and only during semester breaks which are more than 7 days long. Students need to obtain an approval from Immigration Department of Malaysia. International Students are not allowed to work in Malaysia during their studies.

Leaving and Re-entry to Malaysia

When returning to Malaysia from your holiday, ensure that your Student Pass is still valid for no less than 1 (one) month from the date you re-enter Malaysia. You are advised to inform us of your travel plans and the length of your stay abroad.

Renewal of Passport

You are strongly advised to renew your passport at your country’s Embassy, High Commission, Diplomatic, or Consulate Office in Kuala Lumpur in order to facilitate transfer of Student Pass endorsement from your old passport to the new one.